Selection and Care

Natural Stone Care & Maintenance Guide

Cleaning Your Stone

How to Clean Granite, Quartzite, Slate, Soapstone & Sandstone

Use warm water and a small amount of non-abrasive soap (mild detergent).

Rinse with warm water.

Dry thoroughly with a clean soft cloth.

How to Clean Marble, Limestone, Travertine & Onyx

Use warm water & a small amount of neutral pH non-abrasive soap

Rinse with clear warm water

Dry thoroughly with a clean soft cloth

Please note: Cleaners & disinfectants made especially for silca/quartz based stones are available at most home centers, hardware stores and stone fabrication shops.

Stain Treatment

Contact your installer for the best method to remove stains from your natural stone.

Sealing Your Stone

Natural Stone's durability is complemented with regular sealing.

Contact your installer for recommendations.

Food Preparation Areas

In food preparation areas, the stone may need to have a penetrating sealer applied. If a sealer is applied, be sure that it is non-toxic and safe for use on food preparation surfaces.

Bath and Other Wet Areas

In the bath or other wet areas, soap scum can be minimized by using a squeegee after each use. To remove soap scum, use a non-acidic soap scum remover or a solution of ammonia and water. Frequent or over use of an ammonia solution may eventually dull the stone surface.

Natural Stone Care & Maintenance Guide

Do's and Dont's

Follow these easy suggestions for your natural stone's long-lasting beauty!

DO

DO Clean surfaces with mild detergent.

DO Rinse the surface thoroughly and dry with a clean soft cloth.

DO Blot up spills immediately.

DO Protect countertop surfaces with coaster, trivets and place mats.

DONT'S

DONT Use vinegar, lemon-juice or other cleaners containing acids on marble, limestone, travertine or onyx surfaces.

DONT Use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub and tile cleaners.

DONT Use abrasive cleaners such as dry cleansers or salt cleansers.

DONT Mix bleach and ammonia. This combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.

DONT Ever mix chemicals together unless directions specifically instruct you to do so.